Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Get Your Party On!


I had to laugh when I came across a blog posting about children's birthday party themes. Candyland Birthday Party was prominently featured on the Hostess with the Mostess blog spot (check her out!) and I thought to myself, "Hey, I did that!" For my son's 3rd birthday we decided the theme would be Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Needless to say, I thought some of the parents of our little guests were going to pass out when they entered the sugar filled paradise! Since then we have hosted a Super Hero Ice Skating themed birthday at Justin Herman Plaza, and a Pirate Party at Crissy Field. Through out the years I have planned and coordinated dozens an dozens of children's birthday parties working with every budget imaginable. Sometimes the best parties have been the most scaled back! Many venues in San Francisco charge hundreds of dollars just to secure the room. You may want to Evaluate if the celebration is more geared towards family and adults, for example a child age 1-3 or if the child is enrolled in school or classes and has playmates. With young children count on at least one parent or care giver attending with each child. These points should get you on the right track and will help you determine the theme and tenor of the celebration. Once you have decided these two items you can go on to the appropriate guest list,invitations, decor, favors, menu etc. And last but not least, don't forget to find out about your young guests dietary habits and any allergies!